June 28, 2018
AA TRYOUT AND PROGRAM INFORMATION FOR THE 2018-19 SEASON
The Zone 2 AA (Z2AA) Ringette Association provides an opportunity for those athletes in Zone 2 to play the sport at a higher competitive level. As such, there is a greater commitment of time, energy and funding associated with the AA program.
The purpose of this document is to inform athletes and their parents/guardians about the team formation process and expectations for the Z2AA program. Please read the entire document and review the Z2AA Operating Policies prior to attending the tryout sessions.
REGISTRATION- U14AA & U16AA
• Athletes intending to tryout Z2AA level team are required to register by June 15, 2018, 11:59 pm by completing the registration form online at www.zone2aa.com.
• Early bird tryout fee is $100 if paid by June 1, 2018, 11:59pm. The fee is $125 if paid between June 2 -15, 2018. The fee is payable by e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration is considered complete once the non-refundable tryout fee is received.
The Registration deadline for U19AA has been extended for both Zone 2 and Out of Zone athletes. Please complete the registration form found on www.zone2aa.com. Please note, we are still working through the process to form a viable Zone 2 U19AA level team. The tryout fee for U19AA is not due until the first evaluation ice time during the first week of September. We will be posting information on the website and sending communication to applicants through the registration contact information.
OUT OF ZONE ATHLETES
Zone 2 AA will be accepting out of zone registrations for the U19AA in order to make a viable team for its inaugural season. All Calgary registrants must first be registered and must try out in Calgary AA prior to our Zone 2 AA tryout. Releases will be granted for Out of Zone athletes who play for Zone 2 AA in the 2018/2019 season, who wish to return to their catchment area AA team in the 2019/2020 season.
Athletes from outside of Zone 2 are currently not being considered for placement on the U14AA or U16AA teams as the goal of the association is to develop athletes at the AA level within Zone 2.
Player release guidelines for the Z2AA Ringette program are conducted in accordance with Ringette Alberta Policy 3.0 and the current Zone 2 bylaws. A release is NOT required for any player moving from their home association to an AA team within Zone 2. This would apply to all athletes who have registered in one of the Zone 2 Associations as per RAB policy 22.214.171.124. Applicants attending tryouts are not required to provide written notice to their home associations but it would be helpful if all athletes informed their home associations of their intent to try out for a Z2AA team so that local associations can plan their ice and teams accordingly.
Coaching applications for all head and assistant coaches for the 2018-19 season must be submitted by June 1, 2018. Applications will be available under the REGISTRATION tab. The head coaches for U14AA and U16AA are expected to be announced after the 2nd evaluation ice time.
The AA tryout schedule will be posted by the end of June, 2018. Tentative tryout dates will be between August 24 – September 1, 2018 and will include 3-4 ice times. Athletes will be guaranteed a minimum of 2 ice times. U19AA tryouts will be carried out in the first week of September, proceeding Calgary AA tryouts. Please check the website zone2aa.com for updates to evaluation dates and times.
AA TEAM FORMATION
An Evaluation Committee and Coaching Selection Committee will be formed prior to the start of evaluations (in accordance with the Z2AA Operating Policies).
The Evaluation Committee will be responsible for selecting players for each team. The Coaching Selection Committee will be responsible for selecting head coaches for each team.
The teams will each have a minimum of 12 skaters and 1 goalie.
The team rosters will be declared within 7 days of final evaluations and posted on the Z2AA website (www.zone2aa.com). Full registration fees will be due by September 7, 2018 and are non-refundable.
If a player misses evaluation(s) due to illness, injury or family emergency, a committee including the Z2AA Executive board, Evaluation Coordinator and head coach (if selected at this time) shall decide whether this player shall be selected. The decision of this committee is final.
Parents of all selected players will need to attend a mandatory AGM in September (date TBD).
The Z2AA teams are considered Zone 2 teams and currently lack a single home rink but consider all Zone 2 Association rinks as home ice (Airdrie, Cochrane, Indus, Hussar, Rockyford, Carstairs, and Strathmore). The Zone 2 AA program exists through support and cooperation with all the Zone 2 Associations. Ice is still to be determined for the upcoming season, but we have secured an allotment of ice in Airdrie, Chestermere and RockyRidge YMCA.
If you have any questions regarding the AA program or selection process please do not hesitate to contact the Z2AA Executive at email@example.com.
AT-A-GLANCE Z2AA COMMITMENT EXPECTATIONS FOR ATHLETES AND PARENTS/FAMILIES
Competitive athletes are expected to make ringette their primary activity during the ringette season. Athletes are expected to attend all team activities including: practices, league games, exhibition games, tournaments, playoffs, provincials, off-ice training sessions, fundraising initiatives and any other organized team events. However, it is understood and encouraged that academics and family commitments come before ringette.
• 2-3 ringette sessions/week (ice and dryland) of 60-90 mins each
• Best attempts are made to practice at central locations but they could be at any Zone 2 home ice as well as Calgary
• 2-4 mental training sessions over the course of the season
2. Games and Tournaments
• Z2AA teams play in the Zone 123 League
• 14-20 league games/year plus potential exhibition games
• Minimum 5 tournaments, excluding Provincials, Westerns/Nationals, which are typically:
- 2 home: Rusty Ring (U14AA)/Ring It On (U16AA) and Esso Golden Ring
- 2 away (in province): Woods (Edmonton), Ice Breaker (Lacombe)
- 1 out of province
3. Required Parent Volunteering
• Minor official duties (time clock, shot clock, score keeper, penalty box)
• Team positions (manager, treasurer, tournament and meal prep coordinators etc.)
• Executive/Board (these will be voted on in September)
4. Season Cost Estimates
• Tryout fee of $100 up to June 1 (then it’s $125 up to June 15), U19AA tryout fees will not be due until the first evaluation ice in September.
• Registration fee $1200 which includes: ice costs, powerskating, dryland and player gear bag (excludes tournament and exhibition game costs)
• Mandatory equipment to purchase: navy helmet (prices vary), game pants (approximately $100)
• Mandatory team apparel includes jacket, hoodie, dryland shirts (approximately $150)
• Tournament meal costs are kept down (and more nutritious) by doing team potlucks
• A $200 jersey deposit cheque dated March 1, 2019 will be collected by the team Manager at the start of the season. Cheques will be destroyed once jerseys are returned in good condition.
• Teams can decide if they wish to fundraise to cover expenses or do cash calls or seek sponsorship to offset some of these expenses (may include bottle drives, raffles, sponsorship etc.)
• Currently, the association holds an annual fundraiser social event in the fall to offset operational costs. Each member family is required to sell tickets and is encouraged to attend – it’s always a great time and opportunity to get to know everyone!